UNIT OPENER: Film clip - Language and Culture in USA and India
This video excerpt from Outsourced (2006) introduces some of the key issues around language and relationships we will be dealing with in the this unit.
First, watch the video (about 2 minutes long) below:
=> YouTube verison
After watching the video, think about the following:
- What cultures are represented in the clip?
- What problems are the sales representatives having?
- What does the clip have to say about English as a national language?
- Why is it important for Chicago to be pronounced with a nasal twang?
- Besides pronunciation, what other differences are demonstrated in the varieties of English used?
Now, turn to the next page for comments.